The Dutch government has just announced that no events with more than 100 participants may be held in the Netherlands from now until March 31, 2020, due to Covid-19.
We realize that this is a huge disappointment – for our organization, and especially for all who planned to participate. However, given the rapid spread of the new coronavirus, we support the government's decision.
Registration fees and payments for boat hire will be refunded.
Later this year we will once again focus on organizing the next Head of the River Amstel. Let's hope that in 2021 this great tradition can continue!
The Head of the River Amstel Committee
In light of the global situation with the coronavirus, the organisation of the Head of the River is constantly monitoring the situation. The lead agencies providing advice for the Netherlands are the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) in cooperation with the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RVIM). We will continue to monitor all the updates they provide ahead of the race on the weekend of 21 and 22 March.
For the moment, the Head is still taking place and we expect we will be able to race. We will keep you posted if we decide differently, communicating any updates via our website, Instagram and Facebook page.
Once again this year, international crews are showing strong interest in participating in the Head of the River Amstel. We look forward to seeing you in Amsterdam!
After you have signed up your crew via the registration site, please pay the entry fee as follows.
Entry fees are: Four €70; Eight €100; Corporate Eight €300.
Payment must be made before March 13th to the ‘Amsterdamsche Roeibond’, IBAN number NL 71 INGB 0006 6289 83, BIC number INGBNL2A.
Please include the following details in the comments section:
* the name of the club,
* the race event
* the name of the stroke of the crew
For more information see our entries page.
The movie with steering instructions for the Head of the River race has been updated. The video follows the whole course, from the start in Ouderkerk to the finish at rowing club De Hoop in Amsterdam, and gives suggestions for steering at crucial points on the Amstel river.
We strongly advise all coxes to watch the instruction video carefully.
They should also watch the presentation with rules for overtaking other boats and read the other information for coxes on the site.
For this year’s Head on March 21-22, 2020, two exciting new fields have been added: the Double Eight (8*) and the Ladies Double 8 (D8*). Both of these are open fields with no age restrictions. Register for this new open competition!
Registration for the Head of the River Amstel 2020 will open on February 10th and remain open until March 13th at 20.00. Please take the opportunity to register here: Registration Head 2020.
The route: Rowers will race along an 8 km stretch of river from Ouderkerk aan de Amstel to the rowing club ‘De Hoop’ in the city of Amsterdam.
Here are several changes from past races:
Saturday Code RED, Sunday Code GREEN.
On Sunday all races will be rowed! All weatherforecasts show a great improvement compared to the current situation (saturday 12:30 h. ), especially windforce and currents are less intense. The Head organisation trusts that all races can be rowed.
The rowing conditions on Sunday will still be uncomfortable.
Reason for the Regatta organisation to ask every team to take extra safety precautions (like heelstrings and closed buoyancy chambers).
We kindly request all crews to draw serious attention to the safety precautions.
Dear rowing friends,
We have decided to give our 20 honoured foreign crews, who were scheduled to start on saturday, the opportunity to row the coursetrack of the Head on sunday. Each crew participating, will receive a time registration of their rowing performance. The start is planned at 15:10.
When circumstances prevent their start at this time, we have limited opportunity to schedule the start at 12:00. When material issues arise, rowing club Willem III has offered support.
We kindly ask all 20 foreign crews concerned to let us know if they are able to start, and if special arrangements are being requested.
You can contact us at
tel/sms: +31-623481749 (no whatsapp)
Saturday Code RED, Sunday Code Yellow.
The races for Saturday are CANCELLED. The wind forecast is very bad, dangerous situations are likely to occur. Forecasts for Sunday are better, but we stick to code YELLOW. We will publish a new statement on Saturday at 13:00 hours.
Saturday Code Yellow, Sunday Code Yellow
Attention! The weather forecasts are still too uncertain, this can lead to cancellation or changes in the timetable for both Saturday and Sunday. Pleae keep an eye on this website for more information.
We will publish a new statement on Friday at 13:00h.