Head of the River Amstel 2023: Once Again One Big Rowing Festival
We look back on a wonderful Head of the River Amstel, March 11-12, 2023
The skies looked to be stormy, but the weather gods favored us. Saturday brought us the beautiful spring sun and Sunday the wind stayed low. This to the disappointment of the coastal rowers, who participated in the Head for the first time. [I think this is wrong – why were the coastal rowers disappointed?] Two beautiful rowing days with more than four thousand enthusiastic rowers and coxswains, and more than one hundred and twenty satisfied volunteers.
We look forward to greeting everyone again next year at the Amstel.
We thank all volunteers - umpires, the jury, timekeepers, motorboat crews, catering, pontoon managers, info desk and numbers, first aid providers, boat guides, parking attendants, and course crew for their efforts, time, and cheer. We hope to count on you again next year.
We thank our suppliers for the pleasant cooperation and the residents along the track for their leniency.
Thanks also to the rowing clubs along the Amstel for the receiving all the boats and rowers with a special thanks to R.V Willem III and Skøll for providing rooms and staff.
And finally, thanks to the organizing associations, the Amsterdamsche Roeibond and R.V. Willem III for their support and confidence.
Until next year,
The Board of the Head of the River Amstel
Wed 08 Mar 2023 12:00
Draw and Shirt Numbers
The Start numbers have been devided. Check the Draw page to see what number you will start with.
Starting at Friday March 10th, at 14.00h, you are able to collect your Shirt numbers at the HEAD-quarters (at rowing club Willem III, Jan Vroegopsingel 8). Distribution of the numbers will be done per club, not individual crews. Please check if the payment for participation has been made.
Time slots to pick up your shirt numbers:
- Friday March 10 14.00 – 20.00
- Saturday March 11 09.00 – 15.00
- Sunday March 12 08.30 – 12.00
Mon 06 Mar 2023 12:00
Blockage Bridge Ouderkerk: Rearranging of the Start and Finish Areas
Due to construction works on the Bridge in Ouderkerk, there is no passage possible under the bridge during the weekend of the Head of the River. Because of this, the start of the race has been moved in the direction of Amsterdam.
There are some consequences for both racing and warming up towards the start:
- Always listen to the umpire in the start area.
- All crews need to turn before the Bridge in Ouderkerk.
- After passing the Rozenoord bridge, crews will wamr up in numbered order.
- Keep an eye on your passing time of the Rozenoord bridge, which is printed on your crew numbers. (It has been shorted compared to other years)
Fri 17 Feb 2023 12:00
Friday March 3: Closing of the Entry system for the Head of the River 2023
This week will be the last week that you can enter the Head of the River competition, March 11 and 12 2023. Friday, March 3, at 23.59h the entry system will close.
The draw will take place on Monday, March 6 and will be made available on this our Draw page.
- Draw and Shirt Numbers
- Blockage Bridge Ouderkerk: Rearranging of the Start and Finish Areas
- Friday March 3: Closing of the Entry system for the Head of the River 2023
- Registration for boat trailers: Head of the River Amstel 2023
- Registration Head of the River 2023 open
- Changed Events and Block schedule for the Head 2023
- 2023: 90th anniversary HEAD OF THE RIVER AMSTEL